History of the Town of Iron Gate
Home of beautiful Rainbow Rock and the headwaters to the James River, the town of Iron Gate was incorporated in 1889 within Alleghany County, Virginia. Known as the “Gateway to the Alleghany Highlands,” the town is located two miles south of Clifton Forge along Route 220 next to the Botetourt County line. The town of Iron Gate has a total area of 0.3 square miles and a population of 388 individuals. The town has its own council consisting of a mayor, six councilpersons, and a town clerk. It also has a public works department, police protection, and fire and rescue service.